Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Power of Sport

Hello Lovelies! Hope you've all been well. As you may be aware, I am quite the sports fanatic. Whilst I'm only dedicated and loyal to a few specific sports, teams and players, I find myself willing and able to watch any sport in front of me, engage in discussion about it and learn all I can. Sport is the best entertainment I could ever ask for.



This winter (in Australia anyway), we've been blessed with an abundance of sport all at once. The French Open blurred into the Australia v France Rugby Series which blurred into the Fifa World Cup which blurred into Wimbledon which will blur into the Tour de France  which will blur into the Rugby Four Nations and Bledisloe Cup, all while our regular AFL and NRL seasons run in the background as well as the pinnacle of league, State of Origin (and a beautiful series win by New South Wales!!!!). And hasn't it been magical!

I've never realized the power of sport until our country was hit with it on such a mass level. Obviously personally it always meant something to me and I found such joy in supporting a team. The adrenaline rush of a close win, the excitement of extreme skill, the pain of a loss... it all comes together to make sport an emotional rollercoaster that I want to ride time and time again. It makes me so glad that Australia got the opportunity to feel this with me over the past few weeks and the few weeks ahead of us. To see a nation stand united, to see a nation stand proud of our representatives, to see a nation smile simultaneously as magic  (I'm looking at you Tim Cahill!) happened before us gives me hope that the world is not as sour as we all think it is. It felt so refreshing to turn on the news program and hear about success, triumph and pride rather than another murder trial, rape charges, lying politician, car crash or drug overdose. I understand those things are newsworthy and it is important that society is aware of it, but in my opinion, it's turned us all bitter towards the communities we live in. Sport has had the power to reverse that and for the first time in a long time, I walked past my local park and saw children running to join in a game of soccer rather than being told to walk away because of the danger of strangers or other children. Sport has returned a light-hearted, jovial atmosphere to our nation, and whilst it may only be temporary, it is definitely good while it lasts.

I think that the idols sport presents us with gives children role models to look up to and while there are those bad eggs, yes Todd Carney that is you, the elite group that remind the rest of the world what Australians are truly made of provide foundations for children to build on in their own lives. They are admirable and inspirational and portray the dedication, persistence and burning desire to succeed and improve that all Australians should emulate in their own lives.

Sport is powerful and when it comes all at once the change in society is clear. It may not be your primary interest but everyone gets behind the Aussies when it matters. We are united. We are proud. And above all we are smiling and things are peaceful.

Think about the power of sport through your own rose coloured glasses and tell me what you think of it in the comments below! Would love to hear perhaps a less biased view on the matter (I love sport so obviously I think it is powerful and special and important!)

Happy reading lovelies,

No comments:

Post a Comment