Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Those Who do not Read are Lost

Hello Lovelies!

Today's blog post is a short compilation of lists of my favourite books in various categories. I love to read, I find it enlightening, relaxing and entertaining. I have learnt so much from the characters and stories of the books I've read, not to mention improving my vocabulary and English skills tenfold. I truly believe that those who do not read and missing out on so much in life and if you claim you do not enjoy reading, then you simply haven't found the right material!

In these lists, I've tried to avoid listing entire series and so for circumstances where I love the entire series, I've listed only my favourite book out of the set. They are also in no particular order. So without further ado, here are my favourite books!

Fiction: I found it incredibly hard to create this list because I've read so many fiction books of all different genres so I tried to think of which ones influenced me the most, excited me the most and that I simply could not put down as opposed to those which I enjoyed but was hardly phased by.
1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden (shout out for being Australian!)
4. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
5. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Special mention to Richelle Mead and her wonderful series, Vampire Academy and to Louise Rennison for making me laugh with the adventures of Georgia Nicolson.

Children's: Children's tales are oddly rewarding to read. They often tell the most powerful messages in the simplest and clearest ways.
1. Once by Morris Gleitzman
2. The Red Tree by Shaun Tan
3. The Violin Man by Colin Thompson (thank you Mr Thompson for so kindly replying to my email of questions regarding the story whilst I was studying it for school. It was greatly appreciated)
4. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
5. Belonging by Jeannie Baker
Special mention to Dr Suess and Roald Dahl for the pleasure their stories gave me throughout my childhood. Are You My Mother and The BFG always made me smile when I was down.

Non-Fiction: I don't read too many non-fiction books unless they are required textbooks for my studies. This section is mainly comprised of biographies or autobiographies which have had a profound affect on my view on the world. However there are two books, at the end of the list, which are pure non-fiction thus explaining the heading of this section. You will notice they are mainly sport novel, reflecting my interest.
1. Open by Andre Agassi
2. Mickey O by Michael O'Loughlin
3. The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
4. The Rise of the Swans by Martin Blake
5. Who Moved my Cheese? by Spencer Johnson.
Special mention to Andrew Johns and his book, The Two of Me, which I am in the process of reading now and very much enjoying, and to Mark Gasnier for his autobiography, Gaz. Also a little note on Who Moved my Cheese: this is a non-sport book about managing change and uses a cute little tale of two mice and two little men to do so. It's adorable with a powerful message.

Classics: Classics is the last category. I find it difficult to read classics because the old English language makes them harder to understand and so I cannot read them when I'm tired or not fully concentrating. But there have been some which have been amazing.
1. As You Like It by William Shakespeare
2. Little Women by Louise May Alcott
3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
4. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Special mention to JD Salinger for the odd yet interesting tale of Catcher in the Rye, and to L.Frank Baum for the excellent tale of The Wizard of Oz.

I hope you take the time to read these stories one day, if you have not read them already that is. If you would like to know more about any story, comment below or ask me on twitter!

Happy reading lovelies,


No comments:

Post a Comment